True or False

I have come to regard things as neither true or false. Let me explain.

The central question has to do with the nature of truth. Or, rather, how do you know if a thing is true?

This question affects the answer. Surely things are either true or false. This might be so in some kind of objective sense, but I think humans don't have access to this objective reality.

Instead I think humans have to evaluate evidence. To this end I propose a kind of sliding scale. Suppose this question is evaluated on a range between really false to absolutely true. Or to my way of thinking a range between zero and one, where zero is absolutely impossible and one is undeniably true. The key point is that all the values in between are available.

This suggests a program. Accumulate evidence. Each piece of evidence moves the meter towards zero or towards one. Either towards truth or falsity.

This style of thinking has led me to extreme skepticism regarding absolute truth and absolute falsity. Indeed, the desire for this absolute determinism strikes me as misguided.

This suggests that the real question is what constitutes good evidence.

Comments

Popular Posts