Racism

I see most humans as racist. This sounds extreme. Let me explain.

The term I'm using is not that useful. It is freighted with a lot of baggage. I'm not sure what to do about this as I don't know another good term. The value I want to convey is better described as a kind of 'tribal bias'. But I think a lot of folks will not know what I mean by this. By this I mean a kind of generalized us versus them attitude. We're on our side and you are on the other side. And our side is better.

I see this effect all over the world and in all historic eras. Many examples. If you speak to any African American on this subject you will hear a series of examples of how these folks are treated poorly with regard to white folks. Indeed, if you speak to any person of color in the United States, you get a similar report.

The Indian caste system is another example. Indeed the amity the Indians and the Pakistanis have for each other is another. This is a group of people that used to share a country.

The hatred between Shia and Sunni is hard to ignore. The events of much of the middle east are colored by this.

The three way hatred between Croat, Serb and Bosnian is another example.

I have to say that etho-nationalism, in all it's forms, is one of the most pernicious forms of this evil.

The 'Troubles' between the Republicans and Unionists of Ireland.

I don't know if you can get away from a deep seated racism in humanity.

Comments

Popular Posts