Rational Materialist

I call myself a rational materialist. I think the way to truth is via rational consideration of material information. I think this approach has explained much of the world around us.

There are still mysteries. What happened in the first seconds of the universe? Are there other universes?  Is there a 'before' for ours? How do you join quantum mechanics and gravity? What does quantum mechanics mean for the macro world? How do you derive life from non-life? What is the nature of consciousness? What will it take to understand human physiology well enough to fix things like diabetes and cancer?

For me the principle problem to be solved is one of measurement. The things we measure well we have a good understanding of.  I don't think there is much to be said about things that cannot be measured. 

This is why I reject arguments from authority. Measurement is egalitarian. In principle (neglecting cost and training) anyone can make the measurement. There is no need to blindly accept the word of some other human.

Comments

Popular Posts